Citrix Microsoft Media Foundation is not installed on this machine

Recently, when deploying the latest LTRS (Long Term Service Release VDA ( Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops 7 2203) on some of my physical endpoints, I came across an error that I had not seen before.

The error stated the following

Microsoft Media Foundation is not installed on this machine. Therefore, several HDX multimedia features will not be installed and will not work. Click OK to acknowledge this limitation and continue the installation. Click Cancel to end the installation so that you can install Media Foundation, and then restart the VDA installation.

Interesting. What is Microsoft Media Foundation? Well, off to Google to find out. It’s quite simple, Microsoft Media Foundation is installed as part of Windows Media Player, which for some reason was not installed as part of the Operating System on this particular workstation.

To install Microsoft Media Player follow the steps below.

1. Start - Control Panel
  2. Programs and Features
  3. On the left side of the page, click on Turn Windows Features on or off
  4. Scroll down until you see Media Features, and expand it. From there, check Windows Media Player and hit OK. Proceed with the installation.

While the install does not ask for a reboot, I found that it is needed for the VDA install to complete. Once a reboot has been completed, install the VDA client like you normally would. This time without a scary warning that there will be no multimedia HDX features.